top of page

Toronto – Just Add Water… To Your Home Insurance Policy

We’ve all seen the Instagram and media photos of Toronto streetcars getting stuck on flooded streets, or people having to pull themselves out of their car windows and swim to safety at the side of a somewhat underwater side street.  Over the past couple of years, we have had some crazy water storms, which has certainly wreaked havoc on our sewers, drains, underground garages and basements.

(image source: Blog TO)

And naturally, if our home has sustained some damage, we reach out to our insurance companies.  

Some insurance companies are now offering a new “Overland Water Endorsement” as an add-on to your home insurance policy. It differs from your current water coverage as it is defined as accidental entrance of fresh water into your home through foundations, basement walls or basement doors. Your current insurance policy may include burst pipes, sewer back-up and water back-up as part of the water damage coverage, but it may not include the overland water flooding from torrential rains, spring thaws and overflowing rivers or lakes.

Obviously, as with all things insurance, there are exceptions/restrictions etc. but it might be worthwhile check if your provider offers this add-on to make sure you are protected.

For condo owners, depending on your floor level, it might be helpful to speak with your condo corporation to understand who would be liable for any sewer back-ups (if they were to enter your suite) or excess water damage from balconies or windows.  I learned the hard way that that water leak was my responsibility. So if you have done any upgrades to your suite (or home for that matter) this is a great time to update your insurance policy with those “betterments” so you are covered (in my opinion 😉

 It’s always better to be safe than sorry when it comes to your home insurance.

If you have any questions, contact me here!


bottom of page